MISTLETOE INJECTION THERAPY
Iscador Mistletoe Injection Therapy
Mistletoe therapy is one of the most potent natural cancer therapies offered with our holistic cancer care program. The liquid extract of the Mistletoe plant has been shown to have a novel effect on reducing cancer symptoms and inflammation, improving blood circulation, easing the side-effects of radiation and chemotherapy, and potentially reducing the growth of cancer cells.
Iscador Mistletoe extracts come from a medicinal plant that has been used for centuries for various ailments. Mistletoe extracts have been prescribed as a part of naturopathic cancer protocols in Europe since the early 1900s.
Among the other integrative therapies offered by our Naturopathic Doctors, mistletoe has a robust body of scientific literature and studies supporting its use. There have been over 150 scientific publications of studies reporting the efficacy of mistletoe therapy as either a stand-alone treatment for cancer or an additional therapy for people pursuing conventional treatments for cancer.
It is only more recently that Mistletoe injections have gained popularity as a natural treatment for those dealing with a cancer diagnosis in North America. This is due, in part, to its use by Suzanne Somers for her successful breast cancer treatment.
Mistletoe Injections Boost Immune Function
Mistletoe stimulates the body’s immune system, strengthening it to better fight the fight against cancer cells. In some of the most successful cases, mistletoe activates immune cells so powerfully that they are able to surround the tumor and prevent the cancer cells from harming the healthy cells.
Receiving Mistletoe Injection Therapy
Typically, patients are given mistletoe injections three times a week. Mistletoe injections are typically injected in rotation between the abdomen, thigh and upper arm, in order to minimize tenderness that occurs upon multiple applications. In rapidly progressive stages, a daily injection may be necessary.
The treatment begins with low doses. The dose is increased gradually, according to the patient’s reaction, until the therapeutic dose is reached. If the disease is advanced, a higher dosage is usually required.
Mistletoe Therapy Benefits
When incorporated as part of a comprehensive integrated cancer treatment strategy, mistletoe therapy has the following, amongst other health benefits:
1. Mistletoe injections strengthen the immune system to combat various types of cancer cells.
2. Many studies have shown Mistletoe Therapy Injections enhance cancer patient survival rates, improve quality of life, and reduce the side-effects of chemotherapy and radiation
3. The latest research and clinical trials show how mistletoe injection therapy has demonstrated consistent safety and effectiveness when used with other established cancer treatments.
4. Mistletoe Therapy may be used with malignant and non-malignant tumors for stimulation of bone marrow activity. It is also used, along with conventional treatments, to offset the side-effects of chemotherapy.
5. Mistletoe extract also inhibits a key enzyme, called topoisomerase II, which is responsible for breaking and rejoining DNA. Blocking this process could help to stop tumor growth. Mistletoe injection therapy can help decrease the size and rate at which tumors grow. Additionally, injections may help prevent tumor compartments from forming in the body. These are just a few of the many potential benefits of mistletoe injections for cancer therapy.
6. Mistletoe injections help increase tolerance of conventional chemotherapeutic agents resulting in a significant decrease in side effects (less pain, nausea, neuropathy, fatigue, low blood counts)
Mistletoe Injection Side-Effects
Administered correctly, mistletoe is tolerated well by the majority of people who have received it.Some patients experience a mild allergic reaction to mistletoe injections. This is rare, but when it does occur, patients experience redness and swelling at the injection location. Other possible side effects include swelling of lymph nodes, shivering, headache, limb pain, dizziness, chills, high fever, angina, there is often a slight rise in temperature, and orthostatic circulatory disturbances.
These reactions are actually a good sign, indicating that your immune system is being activated and becoming stronger. A localized reaction after getting an injection can be associated with better T-lymphocyte function, i.e, your immune system is stronger.
If this occurs, treatment should be interrupted until the side effect symptoms disappear. Our naturopathic doctors closely monitor patients in order to make sure treatments are safe and effective.
Mistletoe Injections & Personalized Cancer Care
The beauty of naturopathic medicine is that every individual is viewed holistically and care is personalized for their specific condition. Obviously, there are many different types of cancer that respond differently to treatment. So too, different stages of cancer require different approaches. Our Holistic Cancer Care program is staffed by naturopathic doctors with specializations in integrative oncology. We’ll help you come up with a cancer treatment plan that’s best suited for your ultimate healthcare needs.